Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Made it safe and sound and then some...

G getting ready to go see M
Well G and I made it without any minor incidents.  Both flights were fine, the flight attendants were not only helpful but very friendly, and the lady who sat with us to London saw G and said "Looks like I will be in good company."

view out our window, 9ish 
G did a good job of winning over everyone she came into contact with. She made special friends with a group of Spanish teenagers returning home after some time in Washington, she flirted with the guy sitting across the aisle from us, and every grandma and grandpa was willing to take her home with them.

Our only minor hiccup came when we had to transfer from one flight to the next.  We had to go through security again and all the food I had stashed for G triggered extra searches.  We were cutting it close to begin with, and we did not make it.  Luckily we were able to get on the next flight so that gave us 3 hours to kill in Heathrow.  G ran around like a mad woman and I chased after her.  At least she was enjoying herself.

After getting in a lot later than expected, we got a good nights sleep and prepared for our adventure the next day.  Just like M's first day, we had to venture to Solna to get registered as our first step in getting residency here.  Since M had learned the ropes of getting around, our adventure was much smoother than his first trip.  Only misstep was getting off the bus 1 or 2 stops to soon. The registry office was also running late so we made it just in time. Once that was done we got on a bus and explored and ate where M works and close to our future home.

G's bedroom
On Friday M went to work leaving G and I in Nacka.  Let me first describe our temporary housing. It is very nice and furnished by Ikea, including the fridge but it is the size and layout of my studio apartment in grad school.  It was fine for one person maybe two but not three. Especially when one is a newly walking 1-year old, this place feels very small.  We are making it work and are only here for one more week.  G is sleeping in the kitchen and we are partially living out of suitcases.  Saying all that and being really jet lagged and not wanting to figure it out for myself, G and I headed to M for food, a grand tour, and meeting his new coworkers.

Today we ventured Södermalm, and tomorrow we will get me a SIM card so that at least I will be able to figure out where I am.  I know I am being very descriptive but we really didn't see or do much except wander.  And since I am really out of it I only remembered to take a few pictures.  Also, most of Stockholm except in the tourist areas basically shuts down for July so people can go on holiday. We will go back and report more thoroughly when everything is open.  As for now I leave you with the few pictures I did remember to take.  
beach at Södermalm

lake near temp house, 10pm

3 comments:

  1. So glad you got to Sweden safely! I imagine your new home is very tiny. I'm looking forward to seeing where you land permanently. Sending you big hugs from the US!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!! Have a wonderful time. We'll see you there soon enough :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up Swede?! We want another international update.

    ReplyDelete