Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

The adventure so far... part 1

Marc shares how he is feeling so far...

how am I doing? Well, good and bad. Some things are just harder than I expected them to be.

Unlike Rachel, this is my first time living abroad. We dreamed about living abroad for a while. We love Seattle! We love our house, our friends and just the overall vibe of Seattle so of course it wasn't easy to leave. But this adventure presented itself and we couldn't turn it down. Our friends and family (except Rachel's mom) said we were crazy not to go and most said just go and do this, don't even think about it. I mean Christopher Columbus wouldn't have discovered America if he had not gone on an adventure.

Apparently I was a little over confident in myself before we moved. I thought I would be able to handle the changes no problem. As I said, I love Seattle but life there had gotten somewhat routine and now we get to go an adventure in a world class city and I get to work at my dream company. I knew that the European apartment standards would be different and it would never compare to
our house in Seattle. I knew we were going to have less space. I knew we wouldn't have instantly have a group of friends. I knew it was all going to be unfamiliar and weird. But I just felt I was ready for this change.

Well, it has been harder than I thought. What has been hard? I miss everything I thought I was fine leaving. I miss our house and my car. I miss familiarity. I miss the ease of life where most things are understandable and easy to figure out. On top of all that I struggle to be ok with the uncertainty.

When will Rachel get a job? What happens when we want to move back to Seattle? And why am I even thinking about moving back so soon?  Even though everyone assures us not to worry, Rach will get a good job and it will be pretty easy for us to go back. I still let the uncertainty get the better of me.

The good part of course is I am loving Spotify. It's fun exploring Stockholm. We have a nice apartment. Gaby and Rachel are having a ball. And with each day Stockholm is starting to feel more and more like home

I am not trying to sound like a complainer and have you think that life just plain sucks.  (Rachel thought this might be good for me, too.)

I also know that if we didn't do this, I would always regret it. Seattle isn't going anywhere and I expect we'll be back, eventually. But we're here and going to take Stockholm by storm and see where this adventure leads because "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

1 comment:

  1. Post so sad! YOU. CAN. DO. THIS! You all were so brave to jump off the Seattle comfort ship. Yes, it is different and uncomfortable. But you can't tell me that fika is uncomfortable. It's so great!

    Have you guys been to vasa museet yet? The ship is amazing!

    ReplyDelete